Pain Perdu (Savory French Toast)
with Thyme Infused Maple Syrup
Pain Perdu Ingredients:
- 2 thick slices of stale bread (ideally sourdough)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped herbs – thyme, parsley, sage or other desired
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces sliced Brie cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced and toasted almonds
Thyme Infused Maple Syrup Ingredients:
- 4 small sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Pain Perdu Preparation:
- Crack eggs into a shallow bowl, add milk, herbs, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Heat butter in a skillet until it turns nutty-brown.
- Dip bread slices into egg wash, let soak for a few seconds on each side.
- Once pan is hot and the butter is nutty-brown, start adding egg-washed slices of bread to the pan. (If you have extra egg-wash, you can just pour it into the pan with the bread.)
- Flip toast and cook to brown on both sides. (As you move the bread around, it will absorb more of the egg.)
- Serve topped with sliced Brie, toasted almonds and thyme infused maple syrup.
Thyme Infused Maple Syrup Preparation:
- Pull off most of the leaves from the thyme.
- Place both the leaves and stems in a small saucepan with the maple syrup, peppercorns, and water.
- Place over very low heat and bring to a very gently simmer. Let it bubble for 10 minutes to infuse the syrup with thyme.
- Strain the syrup into a pitcher.
(You can make the syrup up to 3 days ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate, then gently reheat over low heat just before serving.)